Thursday, April 28, 2016

BENIN or BUST!

As most of you know I’ve been back from Madagascar for a little over a month now. In my last update I asked you all to pray for me as I processed through the changes of coming back home and for wisdom to know when to start looking for a job.

Well, the Father presented me with a completely different opportunity! After only being home about a week I received an email from my former boss on Mercy Ships asking if I would consider coming back to Mercy Ships to be the Admissions Team Leader! I was flattered and blown away by the offer! But, my knee jerk reaction was NO. If I accepted the position it would mean I would have to commit to Mercy Ships for at least 10 months starting this July. I kept thinking I would never be able to leave everything here. What would I do with all my stuff? And I have roommates that count on me to pay part of the rent. I can’t be out of critical care nursing that long. I’ll lose my skills and then I won’t be able to pursue my dream of flight nursing.

As these thoughts swarmed in my head I could feel myself spiraling and I sensed God reminding me again. Cait, I didn’t ask you to do this for me. I’m presenting you with an opportunity to do this with me. I also sensed Him asking me to explore why I was so against going back to Mercy Ships for an extended period of time. This exploration exposed some unconscious thoughts and ways I was allowing nursing to become my identity. He encouraged me that my dream of being a flight nurse was good. My desires to develop excellent critical thinking skills and gain experience taking care of sick patients was all well and good, BUT when those things became the driving force I lost sight of my true identity and calling in Christ. He reminded me that my identity is first and foremost being a daughter of God and bringing good news to all people by being in relationship with Him and exemplifying His love & grace. He then said, “whatever path you choose….staying here in the states to pursue flight nursing now OR going back to Mercy Ships for 10 months. As long as you’re identity and foundation is rooted and established in me, both paths are worth pursuing and will be pleasing to me.”
How gently the Father reminded me, that if my source is not in Him then any work I do is empty and worth nothing. My strength and identity are found in Him alone and as long as this is my foundation it doesn’t matter if I’m doing work here or with Mercy Ships!
After much prayer and deliberation I accepted the job offer from Mercy Ships! I am the new Admissions Team Leader in Benin, West Africa! I leave July 26th and will be with the ship for 10 months. I am nervous, but very excited about this opportunity! I will be fundraising throughout the summer.

If you would like to support me here are some options...

1. Write a check. Make the check out to Mercy Ships and it will be tax deductible. You can mail it to me OR give it to my parents or myself.
Here is my address:
246 North Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101


2. In a few weeks you will have the option to donate electronically here my blogspot. This option is also tax deductible. More details to come!!

3. You can give cash. This is NOT tax-deductible…however; it is greatly appreciated as I purchase necessities for the trip that are not reimbursed by my Mercy Ship donations.


I will be sharing more details about the Admissions Team Leader position tomorrow, April 29th (6:30-8:30pm) at my open house! Even if you haven’t RSVP’d please come. I promise you won’t be bored and your heart will be encouraged!

6 comments:

  1. I had a feeling that mercy ships hadn't seen the end of you! I'm excited for you! What a wonderful reminder that what we do isn't as important as Who we do it with. Keeping Him first either home or abroad! See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a feeling that mercy ships hadn't seen the end of you! I'm excited for you! What a wonderful reminder that what we do isn't as important as Who we do it with. Keeping Him first either home or abroad! See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you already told me this but it was exciting to hear/read it again :) So excited for you, Cait! Hope open house goes well for ya tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wahhhh! Such an awesome blog girl. Amazing opportunity. And I love the truth in all you said. Enjoy Benin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited. Honored to help. Love, H
    This is GOD'S TIMING!

    ReplyDelete