Tuesday, February 23, 2016

An unexpected opportunity...


 I am most definitely a task-oriented person. I know this shocks most of you! ;) Needless to say, I like to focus on goals and accomplish them. But often times I forget that the journey is just as important, if not more important, than the goal. God is teaching me is to slow down so I don't miss opportunities along the journey. At the moment, my goal is to serve patients aboard Mercy Ships. However, the Father had a different goal in

mind the other night.

 It was Friday night. I was starting the first of four night shifts. Before every shift the nurses gather to pray over the patients and each other. During the prayer time I was feeling a bit worried about how I was going to stay awake and what I would do with myself in the wee hours of the morning. The night shifts here on Mercy Ships are a bit slow, not like night shifts I am used to back home. The patients usually sleep and do not require much care. That night I was assigned to C ward and these patients in particular require even less care. Most of them had their surgery weeks ago and are almost ready to be discharged. Also, C ward is kind of lonely because you are the only nurse for all of the patients. It's just you and a translator hanging out all night. And the translators usually sleep some of the night because they have daytime jobs or kids and do not get to sleep much during the day. As all of these thoughts swarmed in my head, I sensed the Holy Spirit saying that I should ask him what he had for me that night. So, I did. I literally said, "ok, what do you have for me tonight Father?" And he answered by giving me the privilege of listening to Nina's story. Nina is one of our translators in both A and C ward. She worked with me that night and for the next three nights. During those night shifts I listened intently as she told me about her life here in Toamasina, her husband & three boys and how she came to work for Mercy Ships. As I sat there listening I realized how narrow minded I had become in my mission aboard Mercy Ships. Yes, the patients are the main focus, but there are so many other workers aboard the ship... engineers, dining room workers, receptionists, housekeepers, financial personnel, media liaisons, etc. Some of are Malagasy people hired by Mercy Ships. Some are people like me who have chosen to volunteer their time and resources. Whoever they are, each one has a story and plays an integral role in the ministry of Mercy Ships. Listening to Nina’s story reminded me that the Father calls me to be the hands and feet of Jesus to all people. Not just the patients. Just as He has called me to care for the patients, He also asks me to care for those He places in my path along the way. The Father chose an incredible way to remind me of this simple, yet profound and foundational commandment. I hope this encourages and motivates you today as you seek the Father’s will in your own life!
(The picture below is Nina and I during one of the night shifts)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment